Welcome to Year 4
Jays and Doves
Welcome to the Year 4 class page!
Jays' Class Teacher
Jays' Class Teacher
Doves' Class Teacher
This term we will be learning about the Ancient Egyptians. In Art, we will be exploring Ancient Egyptian jewellery and making our own sculptural pieces out of egg boxes. Please remember to bring your empty cardboard egg boxes in!
Our Ancient Egyptian Day will take place on Tuesday 12th March 2024. Please start to think about what you would like to wear on this day. Please do not hesistate to contact us if you need any support or help with ideas.
We really enjoyed learning about different types of stitches and in DT and we built up to making our own purse. We learnt the running stitch, overstitch, back stitch and the blanket stitch and even how to sew on a button! Please enjoy some pictures of our final pieces below:
Google Classroom Class Codes
To access your childs Google Classroom account you might have been asked for a class code. Please find the code for each class below. If you are still experiencing difficulty accessing your account, please contact the Year 4 team.
Doves - xzxtbjc
Jays - kujidxs
Home Learning And Reading
- Homework is set every Thursday and should be handed in the following Wednesday.
- Homework and spellings will also be posted on Google Classroom.
- You will have a homework book to complete your homework in. We will mark your homework together in class
- Each week, you will have an English and Maths activity to complete alongside your spellings and times tables practise. Your homework will be linked to something we have done in class or be an opportunity to practise a skill we have learnt before.
- We expect you to spend 20 minutes on each piece of English and Maths homework, so 40 minutes in total. It is up to you how you organise your time in the week in order to complete your homework.
- Google Classroom
- One of the easiest and most important skills to practise at home is reading. We expect you to read aloud, to someone at home, at least 4 times a week. Please record this in your reading record. We have lots of lovely books you can borrow from the classroom and school library too. We will visit the school library once a week and you may borrow 2 books at at time. Below are some ideas for good books you might like to read now you are in Year 4!
- Puffin Publishers. Must Reads for 9-12 year olds.
- The School Reading List. Books for Year 4
- Guildford Library. Visit your local library
Here are some websites that you can use at home to help with your learning. If you need your TT Rockstars, Spelling Shed, Purple Mash or Language Angels passwords, please ask your teacher.
Supporting Learning at Home
We are very grateful for all that parents and carers do to support their children's learning in the classroom. Here are some ideas which you may find useful when providing this support.
- Reading aloud and talking with your child about the book they are reading.
- Spelling of high frequency words and those spellings on the statutory spelling list for Lower Key Stage 2 (See below for lists).
- Handwriting practice.
- Using capital letters and full stops correctly when writing sentences.
- Times tables recall up to 12x12.
- Telling the time on an analogue clock to within 5minutes. Converting time between an analogue and a digital clock.
- Reading scales and measuring in m and cm, g and kg, ml and l.
In the event of school closure
On rare occasions, it may be necessary to close the school. This may be due to adverse weather conditions or perhaps when essential school services cannot be provided –e.g. heating, plumbing or water.
Please refer to the School’s Bad Weather Policy on our website for information regarding how we communicate a school closure.
Class teachers will then initiate home school learning activities, and these will be available to children by 10am of the same morning.