Sport at Burpham
Welcome to the Burpham Primary School Sports page. Here you will find out about our overall aims as a school and what we aim to achieve each year. Below highlights why we are passionate about physical education, our PE policy and any updates regarding sporting events held throughout the course of each academic year.
Thank you for visiting.
- Follow a broad and balanced PE curriculum fulfilling the demands of the National Curriculum.
- Ensure every child moving on to secondary school can swim 25m and has basic water skills.
- Develop the fitness of the individual, by ensuring a good pace in lessons and incorporating fitness activities into physical education lessons as appropriate.
- Ensure that all lessons meet the needs of all the children, providing equal opportunities – inclusion of SEN and physical disabilities.
- Ensure children and adults wear the appropriate P.E. kit for all lessons.
- Make allowances for children with disabilities and medical conditions, taking into account children with special needs, through modified and mini versions of games and practices.
- Provide enjoyable experiences, where positive attitudes of sensitivity, cooperation, competition and tolerance may develop
- The school follows the National Curriculum.
- Teachers use the Complete PE scheme to ensure children have opportunities to develop and progress their sporting skills across a variety of sports.
- Annual reviews of subject coverage across the school ensure all years are teaching a wide variety of sports within each year group using skills from the NC.
- MUGA rota in place to ensure all children get the use of the MUGA to enhance sporting opportunities and learning both in structured lessons and during playtime.
- All staff are supported to aid and guide children to be effective facilitators of sports
- All new teaching staff are given CPD training on how to teach sports.
- All teachers and support staff are made aware of the need to dress appropriately and safely for sport and expect children to do the same.
- Children and parents are made aware of extra-curricular opportunities the school offers after school.
- Children have the opportunity to attend competitive sporting events, Football, Netball, Rugby, Cricket, Cross Country, Ultimate Frisbee etc
- Children from Year 2 to 6 compete in a sports day at Guildford Spectrum
- The school participates annually in District Sports events.
- Swimming is taught to years 4 with opportunities to catch up years 5 and 6 if necessary.
- Lessons are carefully structured to ensure children warm up their bodies before starting physical activity
- Children are taught why it is important to exercise and eat well
- Children have access to outdoor gym equipment to aid strength and conditioning during playtimes and within curriculum PE
- The school field is used to teach field events
- At Burpham, A pupil’s PE experience should provide a depth of learning in a positive and engaging environment.
- Basic underlying principles and skills will have been practised to develop these into more complex processes.
- Pupils will be confident to try new things and take risks. They will be able to make decisions and choices when planning tasks or performances and will have a range of strategies for solving problems and show resilience to keep going when they find activities challenging.
- Pupils will understand the benefits of working in different group dynamics and have the confidence to lead and support others.
- Children will understand the importance of physical activity in a wider context and possess the skills and enthusiasm to develop their learning further.
- SEND and disadvantaged pupils achieve well as they are provided with designated support from PE teachers to ensure their progression and development. All pupils leave Year 6 well-equipped for the next stage of their PE education.
- Children will have a chance to implement the skills taught through competitive sport amongst local schools.
At Burpham, we try our best to ensure our children are given a wide range of sporting opportunities within their PE lessons making our lessons accessible to all. Each academic year, our topics taught in PE are reviewed to allow room for development across the years and new sporting opportunities given to our pupils. We hope you enjoy the slideshow below giving you a small insight of what we get up to across the school in our PE lessons!
Over the year we will be competing in a number of different sports against other schools in the local area. These sports include cross country, football, netball and hockey. These events are great opportunities for children to experience competitive and friendly sporting opportunities. The children are always proud to represent Burpham Primary School and have shown fantastic determination, teamwork and support for one another during these events.
Year 6 boys enjoyed an excellent football fixture against Holy Trinity. The matches were played in an excellent manner and all the boys gave it their all. The boys recently competed in a tournament for local schools at George Abbott. The boys played fantastic and finished second, qualifying for the regional finals.
Year 5 & 6 girls have also taken part in a number of football fixtures this term. The girls showed fantastic teamwork and determination in their matches, giving it their all up until the final whistle.
In cross country this year, Year 5 and 6 boys & girls have taken part in a number of fixtures. All the children have shown excellent determination and resilience on some very tough courses. We have achieved some excellent individual and team results which but us in an excellent position ahead of the upcoming races.
Year 6 Girls represented the school in netball in a fixture against Northmead. The game was played in a fantastic spirit, with Burpham winning the game 12-5. We are looking forward to more fixtures in the Spring Term.
Two mixed teams of Year 5 & 6 children took part in a hockey tournament organised by Guildford Hockey Club at Charterhouse school this term. All the children had a fantastic time putting their hockey skills into practice in match situations. After a number of hard fought games, Burpham came out on top, winning the entire tournament. A fantastic effort from all involved!
Links for Local Sporting Opportunities
Burpham Juniors football - https://www.burphamjuniors.co.uk/
Guildford Hockey Club - https://www.guildfordhc.com/juniors_hockey.html
Young Athletes Athletics Club - https://young-athletes.co.uk/
Worplesdon & Burpham Cricket Club - https://wbcc.play-cricket.com/home
Guildford Cricket Club - https://guildfordcc.com/junior-cricket/
Guildford Flames Ice Hockey - https://www.gjihc.com/
Guildfordians Rugby Club - https://www.grfc.co.uk/youth.aspx
Surrey Scorchers Basketball - https://www.surreyscorchers.co.uk/